Postgraduate Centre, Heriot-Watt University — 7th September 2011
Photos of the event by Rumelo Amor
Posters from the meeting:
- A Nano-Toolbox for Biomolecular Fluorescence Imaging (Philip Yip, PDF file)
- Electronic Sonotweezers for Exploration of Cell Manipulation (Han Wang, PDF file)
- Development of a Modified Inkjet Cell Printer for Precise Cell Patterning (Alan Faulkner, PDF file, ***1st place***)
- Dynamic Characterisation of 2D/3D/4D Medical Ultrasound Imaging (Joyce Joy, PDF file, ***2nd place***)
- Reintroduction of natural blood flow:The rationale for an improved stent design (E Kokkalis, PDF file)
- The Use of Terahertz Spectroscopy in Biomolecular Analysis (Thomas Harwood, PDF file)
- Towards Real-time High Resolution Ultrasound Imaging of Individual Cells (Srikanta Sharma, PDF file)
- Understanding the Interactions of Collagen with Mineral in Bone: Working Towards Developing a Realistic Composite (Fiona Harden, PDF file)
Presentations form the meeting:
- Electronic Sonotweezers for Exploration of Cell Manipulation (Han Wang - Agilent Technologies, PDF file)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Physics and the Care of Joints and Muscles (Colin Brown and Neil Roberts- The Mentholatum Company, PDF file)
- A nano toolbox for biomolecular imaging (Philip Yip - Horiba, PDF file)
- Scottish Imaging Network: A Platform for Scientific Excellence.Experience of Knowledge Exchange(Professor David Wyper - SINAPSE, PDF file)
- Dynamic characterisation of 2D/3D/4D medical ultrasound imaging (Joyce Joy - Diagnostic Sonar, PDF file)
- Clinical Imaging and Intervention in Cancer: Imaging and Cryotherapyin Renal Cancer (Graeme Houston - Galil Medical, PDF file)
- Spiral Laminar Flow: A revolution in understanding? Reintroduction of natural blood flow: The rationale for an improved stent design (Graeme Houston - Tayside Flow Technologies, PDF file)
- How the Scottish Funding Council supports University Knowledge Exchange (Keith McDonald - Scottish Funding Council, PDF file)
- Life Sciences in Scotland (Ulrike Knies-Bamforth - Scottish Enterprise, PDF file)
- Towards Real-Time High Frequency Ultrasound Imaging of Cells (Srikanta Sharma - Logitech, PDF file)
The annual meeting of the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance INSPIRE project will be held at Heriot-Watt University on the 7th September.
INSPIRE is made possible by the Scottish Funding Council SPIRIT programme and aims to encourage university-industry collaborations in the area of physics and life sciences or medicine. This event will showcase the existing industry partnerships and potentially form new ones.
In addition to presentations on current industrial projects, the event will feature a keynote address from Professor David Wyper, Director of SINAPSE, along with speakers from Scottish Enterprise and the Scottish Funding Council.
The event will provide a number of case studies of industrial-academic partnerships, as well as information on how such partnerships can be supported. As such, it will be of relevance both for academics in the physics/life science area, and for life science and medical technology companies looking for ways to bring about a step-change to their research and development.
The INSPIRE team are now looking for candidates for industry - university staff and researcher secondments and information will be provided at the meeting on the funding available for this.
Registration opens at 08:45, with a welcome address at 09:15. The event will close at 14:00. To register, or for further details, please contact Mat Wasley (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 0131 451 4427).
The website for the event is http://inspirekt.eventbrite.com/