The 2nd SUPA Annual Gathering and Exhibition was very well attended with just short of 300 registrations. The event, again billed as a “Showcase and Celebration of Physics in Scotland” took place in the superb venue of the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh. Following a warm welcome from Professor Sir Tim O'Shea, Principal & Vice-Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh, and the SUPA CEO, the morning sessions allowed each of the SUPA Theme Leaders to introduce invited talks from their areas on recent research highlights, significant progress and major breakthroughs.
- Prof Andrew Mackenzie, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids, deliverd a talk entitled ‘Strain-Tuning Quantum Materials’.
- Prof Wilson Poon of the Edinburgh Complex Fluids Partnership and Chair of Natural Philosphy at the University of Edinburgh provided a joint public lecture with the Institute of Physics in Scotland to end the Gathering.
- Astronomy and Space Science: Detecting and Characterising Exoplanets with Direct Imaging Beth Biller, University of Edinburgh
- Condensed Matter and Material Physics: One Photon from Two-Dimensions: Quantum Photonics with 2D Semiconductors Brian Geradot, Heriot Watt University
- Nuclear and Plasma Physics: Relativistic Plasma Optics for Controlling Particle Acceleration Paul McKenna, University of Strathclyde
- Particle Physics: Recent Advances in Lattice QCD / Lattice QCD and the Electroweak Coupling Christine Davies, University of Glasgow, and Ewan Smith, Univeristy of Edinburgh
- Photonics: Soft Matter Photonics - New Resonators and Lasers Malte Gather, University of St Andrews
- Energy: Understanding and Improving Organic Semiconductors for Energy Applications Ifor Samuel, University of St Andrews
- Physics and Life Sciences: Computational 3D Microscopy: Megapixels Without Blurring / Sensing Deep and Small: Nanodiamond as a Super-resolution Probe for Biology Andy Harvey, University of Glasgow, and Brian Patton, University of Strathclyde
My.SUPA members can view the keynote and theme talk videos here.
SUPA Annual Gathering Exhibition
- A supplier exhibition
- An impact exposition - leading industry partners displayed examples of how they have translated SUPA physics into their products and services
- A SUPA exhibit