SUPA Public Engagement Forum
Weds 29 September 2021
The SUPA Public Engagement Forum aims to bring together those with a passion and interest for public engagement across SUPA and beyond. Exploring current activities and illustrating what can be achieved together with external partners with whom we work to promote public understanding of science.
The event will open with a Welcome from Prof Julie Fitzpatrick, Chief Scientific Advisor for Scotland.
We will hear from key science centres about what platforms and audiences they can provide for researchers, and learn from the experiences of those SUPA researchers and projects that have engaged with science centres. Speakers include:
- Abi Ashton, STFC Public Engagement Manager
- Dr Stephen Breslin, Glasgow Science Centre
- Dr Hermione Cockburn, Dynamic Earth
- Bryan Snelling, Aberdeen Science Centre
- Lorraine Lemon, Dundee Science Centre
- Prof Martin Hendry, University of Glasgow
- Dr XinRan Liu, Remote3
- Katelin Donaldson, HYPED
- Dr Aurora Sicilia Aguilar, University of Dundee
We will hear from a number of science festivals about how they work, what they look for in an activity and who to pitch to, then explore more SUPA exemplars of doing public engagement through festivals. Speakers will include:
- Howie Firth, Orkney Science Festival
- Laura McLister, Edinburgh Science Festival
- Mikey Jarrell, The Big Bounce (IOP)
- Dr Suzanne McEndoo, Explorathon
- Prof Catherine Heymans, Astronomer Royal for Scotland
- Dr Margherita Mazzera, TEDxAdventure
- Erin Broberg, Dark Matter Day
- Dr Martin Dominik, Royal Society Summer Exhibition
- Dr Carol Trager-Cowan, Strathclyde
- Prof Aidan Robson, Glasgow
We will also hear a snippet of Dr Ross Donaldson's "Cabaret of Dangerous Ideas" talk from the Edinburgh Fringe, and Ross will give a short talk on what "CoDI" is and its benefits.
Throughout the day there will be ample opportunity to ask questions and find out more, in the Q&A sessions.
The event will take place on Zoom, from 10-4 on Weds 29 Sept (full programme).
This event is open to all those with an interest in public engagement across SUPA, SUPA universities, across the research pools, and across the Scottish research landscape.
Please register on Eventbrite to receive the Zoom link.